ZIKA VIRUS GO AWAY
Mosquitoes are active all the time, but they’re most active at dawn, dusk & night time. Mosquitoes can hunt anywhere, but they only live where they have a reliable source of water. Mosquitoes, biting flies, and tick bites can make children miserable.
WHAT IS ZIKA VIRUS
Recently, I have come to know about Zika virus about which lots of people are not aware of. Zika virus symptoms are so common that people don’t even realize that they are suffering from the virus. Only 20% of the people exhibit symptoms of the virus, while the other 80% do not have any symptoms at all.
First, it was identified in Uganda in 1947, is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, the same type of mosquito that carries dengue fever, yellow fever, and chikungunya virus.
When mosquito bites a healthy person after biting an infected patient, the virus gets transmitted from one person to another through any of these fluids. Till 2007, the virus outbreak was limited to only Africa, but it has now spread widely across to South Pacific.
Zika Virus could cause several health issues in new borne babies and kids
Aedes mosquitoes usually bite during the day, peaking during early morning and late afternoon/evening. This is the same mosquito species which carries other dangerous viruses such as dengue, chikungunya, yellow fever etc. The mosquito acts as the transmitter of diseases – transmission occurs when the mosquito bites a healthy person after biting an infected patient.
Zika virus can lead to birth defects such as microcephaly, a condition in which a baby’s head is abnormally smaller than normal babies. Zika virus infection during pregnancy is a cause of microcephaly and other congenital abnormalities in the developing fetus and newborn. Zika infection in pregnancy also results in pregnancy complications such as fetal loss, stillbirth, and preterm birth.
Babies born infected with Zika can have a range of health problems like developmental delay, intellectual disability, hearing loss, seizures, vision and feeding problems
In adults, The Zika virus has been found to affect the immune system. It has also been linked with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a condition where the healthy nerve cells are attacked by the immune system.
Some of the common symptoms of the disease include:
- Joint Pains
- Redness in the eyes, such as conjunctivitis
HOW TO PREVENT ZIKA VIRUS
There is no vaccine or actual treatment for Zika virus infection or its associated diseases. The treatment consists of relieving pain, fever and any other symptom causing the patient discomfort. The normal course of the disease is usually a week, and it usually gets treated in that period.
An infected person can also take to other measures like getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of fluids to prevent dehydration. It is important to avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin.
While the professionals do the work of finding an effective vaccine for the Zika virus, we should focus on protecting ourselves from getting infected.
YOU CAN FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO PROTECT FROM THE ZIKA VIRUS:
Ensure there are no mosquitoes breeding in and around your house. Since the Aedes mosquito breeds in fresh water, make sure to throw out the water collected in plants, unused bottles, buckets, birdbaths, etc. Use Goodknight Activ+ Systemto keep your house free of mosquitoes.
- Avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes, especially when you step outside. Use personal mosquito repellentslike Goodknight Fabric Roll-On, Patches and Cool Gel before you head out. These provide 8-hours of protection.
- Cover up. Wear light-coloured, long-sleeved shirts and pants with fabric thick enough to prevent mosquitoes from biting.
- Avoid being outdoors in the early evening to morning
- Reduce mosquito breeding sites around your home
- If you are traveling to places where there is a Zika outbreak, be extra careful and once you are back, get a test done immediately.
By staying alert and keeping yourself protected from the deadly mosquitoes, this disease can be successfully avoided.
Do follow Goodknight which helps you to stay safe and kepp your family anytime, anywhere, anyplace.